Ruben Fried Scholarship, Year 7 entry, 2023
Applications for the 2023 Ruben Fried Scholarship open on Monday 4 October, 2021. This bursary, co-funded by the Spotlight Foundation, is intended to enable Jewish students to receive an immersive Jewish education who otherwise may not be able to access one.
Many parents think that they won't be eligible for this assistance. However, even when a family with three children has an annual household income of around $200,000 for example, it can be overwhelming to consider committing to a well-rounded Scopus education whilst also trying to meet rental or mortgage costs as well as general living expenses. Contact us on the details below to find out if you might be eligible.
The key points are outlined below.
- The scholarship is primarily meant for Jewish students who are not currently enrolled at a Jewish school;
- It is awarded based on means testing;
- Holders of Health Care Cards will be well regarded and are encouraged to apply;
- Parents will need to contribute $5000 per year for tuition fees for each of the six years of secondary schooling (click here to access the current fee schedule page);
- Security Levy, resources, uniforms, transport and other subject levies, if applicable, are charged to parents in addition to the tuition fee contribution;
- The scholarship also assists with the cost of the Ulpan program in Year 10; and
- Successful applicants are expected to participate fully in College life.
Whilst only one Ruben Fried Scholarship will be offered each year, additional awards at a reduced level will be available for other applicants based on their application.
- Required student documentation
Parents are required to submit the following information to Denise Kain, Enrolment Director, with RFS and the Student's name in the subject line.
- Most recent school report and NAPLAN reports for the student. Whilst this is not an academic scholarship, the school reports will be consulted regarding attitude to studies as well as general attitude and participation in activities.
- If you have any supporting information as to how your child would benefit from being in a Jewish school and what would make their application stand out then please include that, along with any activities that your child is involved with.
- You will need to complete the online enrolment form however please do not proceed to the payment page at this time. In total $400 of enrolment / administrative fees are payable by the scholarship recipient; these fees will be payable if you wish to proceed with an enrolment at Mount Scopus and are not covered by the scholarship.
- Required financial documentation
Applicants are required to complete and upload this Financial Assistance Application Package as the Ruben Fried Scholarship is means tested. (Please note that although it is noted as being for the 2022 school year, this form is the correct one to use for Year 7, 2023.)
General information on the bursary process is available on the Fee Assistance FAQs page.
The closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 25 February, 2022.
Once the recipient has been determined the committee will also endeavour to make further offers of assistance to other applicants although these would be for a lesser amount of the tuition fees than the Ruben Fried Scholarship.
Shortlisted candidates and their parents will be invited to meet with the College Principal, Head of Secondary School and the Director of the Alter School of Jewish Studies and Ivrit in late Term 1 or early Term 2 in 2022. An interview does not in itself imply the student has been selected as the scholarship recipient.
An important part of the enrolment process is the opportunity for students to visit the College and mix with the cohort.
The Year 7, 2023 Scopus Experience tryout day for students interested in joining the College will be held on Thursday 11 November, 2021. Click here to register.
A two consecutive day trial visit is part of the process and may take place before or after the outcome of the scholarship application process.
Towards the end of Year 6 there is also a group transition day for all students progressing into Year 7 in 2023 at Scopus.
If you haven’t yet seen the College, then please register for one of our Open Mornings by clicking here. If we are unable to hold them on campus due to restrictions then these events will be held via Zoom.
If you have any queries regarding the enrolment process, or the academic or co-curricular programs at Mount Scopus then please feel free to contact Denise Kain, Enrolment Director on 9834 0073 or email@example.com.
If you have any queries regarding the financial assistance application then please contact Laurent Schonker, Finance Manager, on 9834 0027 or firstname.lastname@example.org.